Tuesday, June 24, 2008

B-17 at our airport...


B-17 front
Originally uploaded by edwards6202004

Ok, so I'm done with the impossible uploading feature here on Blogger and am using flickr to post entries instead. This takes care of my editing issues, but I can only post one picture at a time (I think, if anyone knows how to post more leave a comment!). Just click on the picture and it will take you to my other flickr photos. Sorry, they are not organized at all because I can't use the organize feature yet until I get a new monitor.

This week we took Aidric to see a B-17 bomber that was on display at our local airport. It is amazing that they built 12,700 of these, but now only 50 are left with only 8 in flying condition, including this one. For $450, you could go up for a flight in it, but we opted for just looking at it as this was free! This was an amazing sight, even for someone like me who has no real interest in war machines. There was something very majestic and ominous about it as so many men have went down and died in these planes. Only one of them had no crew members die, and this was not that plane. We even heard that one of the visitors to this plane was a WWII vet who flew in these, and his plane had went down during one of his last missions.

Aidric liked it until they brought out an old fire truck from 1912 and turned on the siren. He doesn't like loud noises. I think my husband, John, enjoyed it the most as WWII planes have been an interest of his since childhood.

No comments: