Thursday, May 29, 2008

Giving up TV challenge...

My husband and I have been living without TV for about a year now (we still watch movies and TV on DVD though). We made the decision first to save money, but it has turned into a boycott of mindless shows and advertising. It is funny how when I mention not having TV to people, they look at me like I'm crazy, but after going this long I don't even think about it anymore. Actually, now when I visit someone and watch their TV, I find myself disgusted with the advertising and how it encourages materialism, stereotypes, and hysteria for things we do not need. One response I get alot is "So you don't watch the news!?", but I get my news from the internet and besides, most news channels are so biased anyway and they only report what they want people to hear. I feel that knowing what is going on in the world is important, but the news can cause us to see the world as a more horrible place than it actually is since they only really report on the negative things that happen, not the positive. But you can't really blame them, that is what get ratings. Nobody cares about the loving things people do for others, just who got shot and what natural disaster is occuring in the world, ya know the juicy stuff.

Anyway, I am extending this challenge to those who read this: Seriously try living without TV for a while. Even if you don't care about the things I said above, you will still benefit by having more time for more important things and save a little money as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't tell you how right you are. I never really made a conscious decision to give up television, I just kind of wandered away from it. I catch things like Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs online, and have barely watched a commercial in 10 years (even before I wandered away from television, we had TiVo.)

I haven't missed it yet.